Monday, June 5, 2017

I'm off a couple seasons

Even though it is still technically spring, it feels like summer here this week.  Saturday it hit low 90's and yesterday higlh 80's.  So I am off a couple seasons with my quilting, which I have to be with the craft shows.  My recent finishes are these fall leaf runners. The pattern was in a magazine many years ago.  I loved making them, all pieced, quilted, and bound in the last few months.

 These are another example of the runners that I piece, quilt and then applique the leaves on. Since these are batik I don't worry about them raveling so I just straight stitch them down using my Janome Horizon 7700.  I didn't use a fusible either, instead I use Elmers School Glue to attach the edges before appliquing them.
 Just a few close ups to show how I quilted them.


I loved how the first one of these wall hangings came out, which you can read about HERE.  And fellow blog friend Beth from Cooking up quilts commented how much she loved it and should ship it her way, so I made a second one to surprise her with!  It worked-she was totally surprised!!  It's so much fun to send a squishy package to someone not expecting it:)  She has lots better pictures than I could capture so I'll let you go to her blog to check it out.  Beth hosts a linky party called Main Crush Monday or MCM for short.  So glad you liked the mini wall hanging Beth!!



A little late to show this picture, since they were done blooming three weeks ago. But we love nature shots with color so I'll still share it.  I love my crabapple tree in full bloom.



Apple tree and crabapple. The blossoms didn't last long because of a rain storm that just had to come through at that time.


The Ground was so pretty with the apple blossoms against the green.

And because you all loved my last Bald Eagle picture so much, here is another.  This one was in 
our yard a few months ago, just sitting in our tree.  I was sewing and heard the crows making so much noise I had to go look.  I could hardly believe my eyes when I spotted the eagle, have never seen one here before.  I admired him a bit then made a mad dash to get the camera and was able to click off a few pictures and then off he flew.  It made my day for sure!


Last week we took the two grandsons( 4 yrs and 6 yrs) to the circus.  They had never been to one and we were not sure if they would sit for an 1.5 hrs-you know focus isn't a strong suit at that age.  They did wonderful. They loved it.  The oldest one wanted to ride a pony, so he did,  but the younger one said no. They both wanted to go in the bounce house, so grandpa took them there while I saved our seats.
The youngest one was so fuuny, when we took them home, he told mommy that he really liked the dancing girls-he loved them he said, hahaha!!  Now imagine a 4 yr old saying that with a very animated voice as you read that plus an emphasis on 'really'.   A good memory to have made with them.

Linking up with MCM on Monday, and Linky Tuesday on Tuesday.

18 comments:

  1. I think I have that pattern! I've never made it though! I love that you used glue for the edges. That's a great idea. Isn't it fun surprising someone! I think Beth was surprised and excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful runners for your craft show. I wouldn't say you are off in your seasons...it's fall somewhere in the world :) That is an awesome gift for Beth! I will have to hop over to her page and read more about it. I remember when you made the first one, it was stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing to see that eagle so close! That would make my day too :-) Thanks for sharing your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table runners look great! When you are appliqueing to a quilt, do you usually quilt it first or attach it just to the top?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your quilt on Beth's blog and had to come "meet the maker" here. It is beautiful! Loved seeing pics of the apple trees and bald eagle. Are you gearing up for the Quilt MN shop hop this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vicki,
    You are so sweet to send that to Beth. {{Hugs}} I love crab apple trees - they also make me smile. Those batiks in your runners are great - I love all the colors. I am sure they will sell well. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabrics you used for your runners are just gorgeous. They make pretty leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your runners are stunning! I love how you used your background fabric as the veins of the leaves! How sweet to send Beth a wall hanging! Your heart must be large and filled with love! Yes! I do love nature shots! How pretty! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really was taken with your little quilt when I saw it on Beth's blog this morning. From what I can tell -- you quilt the background first and then attach the designs and zig zag around them? Very nicely done. Your fall leaf table runners are gorgeous. Lucky you to get such a good picture of an eagle! I'm jealous. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I missed the quilt on Beth's blog. Which one was it? I can't imagine seeing a Bald Eagle in our front yard tree. I would have been excited as well. I can't believe how large they are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fall table runners are beautiful and the quilt you gifted is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those fall table runners are so pretty and I'm sure you'll sell lots of them. The batiks look so nice and are a great fabric choice! I have to say Vicki every time I walk by that lovely mini quilt I smile. I'm still auditioning a permanent home for it - I've been moving it from wall to wall. :) Thank you, thank you!!! That eagle picture is amazing! How lucky you got to capture that in your own yard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you love eagle memories! I have a few of them myself. Love the quilting on your runners, and Beth's new mini.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much to love in this blog post, Vicki...really cool looking autumn runners, great revisit to that delightful little floral wall hanging & your outdoor shots are wonderful. That eagle is majestic!! We had lots of them in FL but I don't see many in Ohio where I live. Thanks for sharing your world!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There you are, whipping out projects again left and right! They are gorgeous! So glad you were able to get the mini to Beth. It's really nice and a sweet gift! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was fun to ready about Beth's surprise and delight at her squishy package. And these fall runners are just gorgeous! I love big leaves like that. Your method of applique, with the quilting before hand, Elmer's glue, and simple machine stitching, really appeals to me. I'd rather not keep fusible sheets around in my tiny space, but I already have glue :)

    And how lucky to have an eagle right there in your beautifully landscaped yard! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOLOL. Lots to smile about in this post especially at the end your grandson! I can see that story being used at his wedding! Also grinning about WHY you needed Beth's address! How beautiful. As are the runners. And that eagle! I've seen several and they still take my breath away. Too bad the wind took away the blossoms so quickly-know that all too well!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html